Living an Examined Life
21 Strategies for a Richer Journey
BY JAMES HOLLIS, PHD
90 PEOPLE HAVE TAKEN THIS COURSE
The first decades of our life are mostly spent in making adaptations to the world and its demands upon us. The central project of mid-life and beyond is the recovery of a deeper sense of identity, rediscovery of purpose, and the development of a more mature sensibility. This course based both on personal experience, and forty-plus years of analysis/therapy clients, identifies and explores twenty-one tasks that await each of us. These issues transpire in our lives whether or not we are conscious of them; getting more conscious and more intentional in addressing them brings a greater measure of depth, purpose, and dignity to our Journey.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
You will learn the role our history plays in our present choices, the driving engines in our patterns, and how we may go about gaining a greater measure of consciousness and sovereignty in our lives.
We will also explore the development of a deeper accountability for how our lives are turning out.
James Hollis, Ph. D. is a Zurich-trained Jungian analyst in practice in Washington, D. C. He served as Executive Director of the Jung Educational Center in Houston, Texas for many years and now is Executive Director of the Washington Jung Society.
Dr. Hollis was first Director of Training of the Philadelphia Jung Institute, and is Vice-President Emeritus of the Philemon Foundation. Additionally, he is a Professor of Jungian Studies for Saybrook University.
He has written a total of fifteen books and over fifty articles. His books have been translated into eighteen languages. He lives with his wife Jill, an artist and retired therapist, in Washington, DC. Together they have three children and eight grand-children.
WHO IT IS FOR
This course is for anyone over thirty-five years old.
WHAT DO STUDENTS HAVE TO SAY
"James Hollis has a rare gift for taking us directly to the core issues in our journeys. I always come away feeling that I have been given permission to be where I am in my own life and to continue on my own path, and know that I will have the company of others who are on their parallel journeys."
- Course Participant
"My experience with Dr. Hollis and his professional expertise and knowledge of Jung psychology has been a beacon of light in my personal day-to-day journey through life. His teachings challenge me to "show up" in life and bring the best that I have to offer to the situations and circumstances surrounding me. I now have a question that I carry with me every day: "What wants to enter the world through me?" From that question, I stand in a more conscious space of awareness. Becoming a member of the Jung Society had been arguably the best decision I made this year."
- Gregory, Course Participant
"Dr. Hollis’s command of the body of knowledge, his engaging delivery of it, and his openness to engage with ideas from the audience made for a riveting lecture experience."
- Anne, Course Participant
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT WILL YOU GET
- Video recording of each lecture so you'll have the information easily accessible
- Audio recording of each lecture to download on your digital devices and listen at your convenience
- Discussion Group where you can leave your comments and ask questions
- Transcripts of all classes; We’ve designed your transcripts with clear formatting, space for you to take notes and helpful highlighted quotes so you’ll have the information easily accessible
- The transcript makes it easier to integrate new concepts. You can also go back and double check citations and names that are mentioned
- Having the transcripts allows you to jot your notes on how you’re going to use the ideas rather than transcribing the class
- Some people simply learn better by reading than by listening or watching
"Dr. Hollis is a gem: a brilliant thinker and writer. It is a treasure to have any interaction with him, and a valuable experience to have him share his vast knowledge and great expertise."
- Rick, Course Participant
"Dr. Hollis' great background with Jung's work and literature makes him a wonderful instructor."
- Mary Christie, Course Participant